Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Renacuajos and a Convert

Today was a good day at the early childhood center. I finally managed to convert the only Maestra Jenna-hater into a Maestra Jenna-lover (well, maybe not love but at least he somewhat likes me now). This one little boy has been getting under my skin since day 1. He's pretty unintelligible and he uses some random English phrases and also likes to say mean things to me in taunt-y ways. One day he said (in English): you are so dumb. The other day he said something about "chica fea" (ugly girl). Usually I can't tell what exactly he's saying but I know he's insulting me. We finally had a little chat today when he said something mean to me. I told him that I want to be his friend and I'm sad when he uses bad words towards me and that he needs to be respectful (good thing he's young because I explained my hurt feelings in pretty basic Spanish since I didn't typically have these conversations in Spain to know the appropriate vocabulary and verb tenses). After that, he perked up and became a much nicer kid. Later in the day he even addressed me and said something nice. My goal before the end of the semester was to win him over - check!

In the Spanish classroom they have been learning about growing; first seeds, then baby chicks, and now frogs. Today they had tadpoles (AKA renacuajos - seriously, my Spanish vocabulary is growing exponentially) that were already being converted into frogs. When the kids went to centers, I went straight to the science center to have a look. These renacuajos were sweet - they were mostly these long swimmy things but then, bam, it has 2 legs, too. I have never seen this marvel before so I was just as intrigued as the kids. I hope those things are still around on Monday so I can check them out again and see if more legs or frog-like characteristics have sprouted.

No comments: